{March} is when I started working on this shirt pattern. I did not have a goal of when I would be done with the shirt. I wasn't even shooting for Christmas. Mind I tell you I did NOT sew his shirt by a tutorial or any guidelines. I patiently took out all the seams of the ruined shirt and used it for my pattern. Between March and a little of April I had all the parts of the shirt cut out. I left it sitting here and there in the guest room feeling discouraged of how I had no idea of what I was doing and I didn't have any motivation in starting the sewing project. A weekend either in April or beginning of May or heck it could have been in June but, I picked up the shirt project and started sewing. At this time I was using a 1964 Singer that belonged to my mom. It works great! I love the look of the old machine. Whenever I was stuck (which were a lot of times) I would look at his other shirts (short sleeved, collared, button up shirts) as an example to see how a seam was sewn or how the shirt was suppose to look.
Long story short.. my mom recently bought a modern sewing machine for both of us to share. We took a class on how to work the machine. I took it home first to play with it. My mom bought the machine in {November} that means 6 months have past and I pretty much gave up on the shirt I was working on but, I knew with a new machine I could maybe get this finished. And I did! The week of Christmas is when I completely finished it with the button holes and all. I made a shirt! I did it! Every time I look at his shirt I think.. "I can't believe I made that shirt!" "I did that." I'm super proud of myself, this is the biggest sewing project that I have accomplished.
Here are a few pictures to show you my work:
hand sewn the buttons
sleeve seam- took me three times on
both sides to finally finish the arms.
The two times I did not have them correct,
and the last time I realized what I did wrong and resewed once again!
made with love
button hole
The sewing machine decided to quit before
button hole was finished so I had to carefully take
out the stitching and redo the stitch praying every time!
collar
seams inside - connecting the back and arms
This is the back of the shirt showing
the pleat on left side
Pleat on right side (right shoulder blade)
Sleeve seam- probably the most easiest part
back
Front














The shirt looks great! My aunt brought me a bunch of Pendleton wool pieces on Christmas. I am going to try to make some shirts for Josh out of them, but I haven't even started to figure out the process yet!
ReplyDeleteGreat Job, Tracy! The only thing I've ever sewn was a pair of boxer shorts in the sixth grade.
ReplyDeleteIt looks so good. I'm proud of you! :o)
ReplyDeleteTracy, you did a wonderful job. I used to sew all of Shane's shirts and pants when we were first married. I'm impressed that you did so well with the tailoring. Kudos to you for figuring it out on your own.
ReplyDelete